On the Road

On the Road

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Spice/Herb Mixes

I figured that I'd keep with my theme of the past couple of posts and share some more recipes. I like to make some of my own mixes for things such as taco and pizza seasonings. Here are some of the recipes that I use. I lessen the amounts of some of the spicier spices for the kids. I also usually use less salt than called for. I make a large amount and store so that I have it on hand.

Pizza Seasoning (This makes about 1/2 cup)
                       2 tablespoons oregano
                       1 tablespoon basil
                       1/2 tablespoon onion powder
                       1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
                       1/2 tablespoon thyme
                       1/2 tablespoon fennel
                       1/2 tablespoon paprika
                       1/2 tablespoon black pepper
                       1/2 tablespoon ginger

Combine all ingredients and store in a tightly sealed container. Use about 2 teaspoons of the mix per one cup of tomato sauce.

Taco Seasoning
1 tablespoons chili powder
5 teaspoons paprika
4 1/2 teaspoons cumin
3 teaspoons onion powder
3 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

Mix all ingredients and store in a tightly sealed container. To use: Brown one pound ground beef (or whatever you prefer). Drain. Add about 2/3 cup water and 4-5 teaspoons seasoning mix. Simmer until water is gone.


Here is an excellent spice mix recipe for beef roast (I've never tried it, but imagine it would be good on deer also). I like to make some blue cheese dressing to go with it.
Herb Rubbed Sirloin Tip Roast


Onion Soup Mix
3/4 cup dry minced onion
1/3 cup beef bouillon powder
4 teaspoons onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed celery seeds

Combine all ingredients and store in a tightly sealed container. About five tablespoons of mix are equal to a package of store bought onion soup mix.

And finally, for desert!

Pumpkin Pie Spice
4 tablespoons cinnamon
4 teaspoons nutmeg
4 teaspoons ginger
3 teaspoons allspice
2 teaspoons cardamom

Mix all ingredients and store in an air tight container.

Enjoy some good food!

My favorite place to get good quality, inexpensive spices (they also have powdered beef bouillon and dry minced onion) is Azure Standard . They are awesome! (And no, I don't get paid for that comment. :D )

No comments:

Post a Comment