On the Road

On the Road

Monday, August 20, 2012

My Grandmother's Aldens Super Zig Zag Model AZZ Sewing Machine

Let me introduce you to my cantankerous and beloved Aldens Super Zig Zag Sewing Machine. It is a JA 38, Model AZZ. I think that the serial number 14A115. It is the number that is on the bottom of the machine. 

My grandparents ordered it from Aldens (Chicago, Illinois) on May 4, 1960. They paid $129.95 for it and $3.90 in tax. It was delivered by the railroad to Seaman, Ohio for pick up. Want to know how I know all this? My Grandparents kept EVERYTHING, which is good for me now. According to my Grandfather's diary, they picked it up on May 23, 1960.

From what I read on this page the Aldens sewing machines were made by Standard Sewing Machine Company in Japan. Aldens added their tag and sold it. 

The picture above is of all the attachments. I even have the original box and screwdrivers that came with it (not the stitch ripper or sewing machine oil though :D). The one at the top of the picture is a ruffler. I haven't tried it yet, but am going to have some fun this week. There is also an attachment for making a button hole, adding a button, hemming, quilting, and braiding (that one still confuses me).

It is housed in a BEAUTIFUL, old and very heavy wooden frame. This housed my Grandmother's previous sewing machine, an Improved New Goodrich No. 2 treadle sewing machine (which I also have). They bought the treadle machine on April 23, 1947 (again, according to my Grandfather's diary) for $15.00. Unfortunately, I don't know who they bought it from. I do know that the original owner bought it from Foley and Williams Mfg. Company on September 9, 1898. My Grandmother still had the original instruction manual.

I still use the machine. It works well, when it wants to. Our current fight: it wants to keep throwing in zig zags when I have everything set perfectly for a straight stitch.

I haven't found much information on my machine. I'll keep digging. I did find that they were mass made and not worth much, $5.00 to $50.00. The value of this one and all the memories wrapped into it? PRICELESS!

Now I'm going to go crawl under my blanket that Grandma make on it and gave to me when I was a child. Wrap myself in some love. Goodnight.



No comments:

Post a Comment